“American Assassin,” directed by Michael Cuesta, aims to be the first in a new action franchise inspired by author Vince Flynn’s best-selling pulp about hot-headed, CIA-adjacent brute Mitch Rapp, the kind of terrorist-killing tough guy whose bleeds koans like, “If you’re not busy living, you’re dying.” The 16-installment book series is a smart choice to adapt. It’s “Jack Reacher” meets “Lone Survivor,” and so apolitical that both Bill Clinton and George W. Bush were fans.
Rapp sneers at everyone: bureaucrats, all religions, the French. This launchpad has big ambitions and a whirlwind script where bullets zing in Malta, Ibiza, Istanbul, Tripoli, Romania, Roanoke and Rome. Yet “American Assassin” is so close-mouthed and macho that it blends in with Bourne, Bond and “Taken’s” Brian Mills. Rapp can blast his way through Turkey — but this sullen, swollen hero can’t elbow those box office heavyweights to make room.
- Amy Nicholson
Similar News ItemsTom Cruise
- Jada Pinkett Smith Refutes Leah Remini's Claims That She's a Scientologist: 'I Practice Human Kindness' (From PEOPLE.com. 19 September 2017, 11:43 AM, PDT)
- Jada Pinkett Smith Responds to Leah Remini's Scientology Claims (From E! Online. 19 September 2017, 10:44 AM, PDT)
- Chicago, get a dose of Tom Cruise in American Made early and for free (From The AV Club. 19 September 2017, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- ‘It’ Lives Again, ‘mother!’ Dies at Box Office (From Indiewire. 17 September 2017, 12:26 PM, PDT)
- Box Office: ‘Mother!’ Crumbles With $7.5 Million, ‘It’ Repeats No. 1 (From Variety - Film News. 17 September 2017, 7:35 AM, PDT)
- American Assassin review – shallow and self-congratulatory (From The Guardian - Film News. 17 September 2017, 12:00 AM, PDT)
Bill Clinton (I)
- President Trump Calls Emmy Award Ratings ‘the Worst Ever’ After Multiple Jokes Were Made About Him (From PEOPLE.com. 19 September 2017, 8:34 PM, PDT)
- Hillary Clinton Criticizes Trump's 'Dangerous' U.N. Address on Colbert (From TVLine.com. 19 September 2017, 5:35 PM, PDT)
- Hillary Clinton Blasts Trump’s ‘Very Dark, Dangerous’ Un Speech on North Korea (Video) (From The Wrap. 19 September 2017, 5:23 PM, PDT)