Paris– Cannes Film Festival’ Critics Week, the parallel section dedicated to first and second films, will open this year with “Sicilian Ghost Story” from Fabio Grassadonia and Antonio Piazza, the Italian director duo whose debut “Salvo” had won the Grand Prize in 2013.
Speaking to Variety, Critics’ Week’s topper Charles Tesson described the film as a ‘Romeo and Juliet’ tale set against the contemporary backdrop of the Sicilian mafia world. The film, which is also politically-engaged, weaves teen drama, crime thriller and supernatural elements, Tesson said.
“Sicilian Ghost Story” follows a young girl who refuses to cope with the disappearance of her lover and strives, guided by her visions, to break the prevailing omerta.
Echoing Cannes’ official selection, the lineup of this 56th edition of Critics Week will have a definite political edge.
One of the most politically-charged works to compete at Critics Week is an animated feature, Ali Soozandeh »
- Elsa Keslassy
Similar News ItemsStar Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)
- The Week in Movie News: Here's What You Need to Know (From Movies.com. 20 October 2017, 11:00 PM, PDT)
- Today in Movie Culture: Eiza Gonzalez as Catwoman, 'Star Wars' Augmented Reality Experience and More (From Movies.com. 20 October 2017, 9:30 PM, PDT)
- Box Office Projections For Star Wars: The Last Jedi Put It Below The Force Awakens (From We Got This Covered. 20 October 2017, 6:11 PM, PDT)
Mark Hamill (I)
- 'The Last Jedi' Director on a Key Spot He Avoided Green Screen (From The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News. 20 October 2017, 6:30 AM, PDT)
- Benicio Del Toro’s character’s backstory to be explored Star Wars: The Last Jedi – DJ #1 (From Flickeringmyth. 19 October 2017, 1:37 PM, PDT)
- Is Luke Skywalker evil, Wonder Woman Oscar campaign beings, new Justice League banner and more – Daily News Roundup (From Flickeringmyth. 19 October 2017, 12:10 AM, PDT)
Josh Hartnett (I)
- Oh Lucy! review (From Den of Geek. 16 October 2017, 1:25 PM, PDT)
- 6 Below: Miracle On The Mountain – Review (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 15 October 2017, 4:34 PM, PDT)
- Why Josh Hartnett Left Hollywood (From MovieWeb. 13 October 2017, 5:15 PM, PDT)