Paris– Cannes Film Festival’ Critics Week, the parallel section dedicated to first and second films, will open this year with “Sicilian Ghost Story” from Fabio Grassadonia and Antonio Piazza, the Italian director duo whose debut “Salvo” had won the Grand Prize in 2013.
Speaking to Variety, Critics’ Week’s topper Charles Tesson described the film as a ‘Romeo and Juliet’ tale set against the contemporary backdrop of the Sicilian mafia world. The film, which is also politically-engaged, weaves teen drama, crime thriller and supernatural elements, Tesson said.
“Sicilian Ghost Story” follows a young girl who refuses to cope with the disappearance of her lover and strives, guided by her visions, to break the prevailing omerta.
Echoing Cannes’ official selection, the lineup of this 56th edition of Critics Week will have a definite political edge.
One of the most politically-charged works to compete at Critics Week is an animated feature, Ali Soozandeh »
- Elsa Keslassy
Similar News ItemsStar Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)
- Amazon’s take on ‘The Tick’ gets a debut date (From Blogomatic3000. 27 April 2017, 5:01 AM, PDT)
- Guardians of the Galaxy and Its Exploitation Influences (From Flickeringmyth. 27 April 2017, 4:15 AM, PDT)
- Jeff Goldblum returns to Jurassic Park, Unbreakable/Split sequel announced, Mad Max sequels and more – Daily News Roundup (From Flickeringmyth. 27 April 2017, 12:10 AM, PDT)
Mark Hamill (I)
- First-Look Sketch Purportedly Unveils Luke’s Alien Allies In Star Wars: The Last Jedi (From We Got This Covered. 26 April 2017, 2:40 PM, PDT)
- Luke Skywalker's Animal Friends Revealed in Star Wars 8 (From MovieWeb. 26 April 2017, 2:17 PM, PDT)
- Mark Hamill Shouts Out The Joker for Employing So Many Actors (From The Wrap. 25 April 2017, 12:35 PM, PDT)
Josh Hartnett (I)
- Cannes: Critics' Week unveils 2017 selection (From ScreenDaily. 21 April 2017, 4:36 AM, PDT)
- Armenian Genocide Movie ‘The Promise’ Screens at Vatican With Director Terry George and Talent (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 4 April 2017, 12:53 PM, PDT)
- The Ottoman Lieutenant movie review: erasing the past with sleight of cinematic hand (From FlickFilosopher. 10 March 2017, 10:34 AM, PST)