Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast” scored with audiences, racking up a massive $170 million domestically to become the biggest March debut ever and the seventh-best opening in history. The fairy tale remake added an additional $180 million to its haul from international territories, raking in big bucks in major markets like China and the United Kingdom.
Once again, Disney has successfully updated a “tale as old as time” for a new generation of moviegoers while retaining the sense of wonder and magic that made the 1991 animated version of “Beauty and the Beast” a cultural touchstone for an older audience. It continues the studio’s successful collection of live-action remakes of cartoon favorites like “The Jungle Book” and “Cinderella” and helps propel star Emma Watson to the top of the A-list. Here are five reasons “Beauty and the Beast” smashed records.
1.) Emma Watson Delivered
Movie fans grew up with Watson, watching the »
- Brent Lang
Similar News ItemsStar Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)
- Oscar Isaac Welcomes His First Child! (From Popsugar. 28 April 2017, 12:11 PM, PDT)
- Laura Dern in the Mix for Film Academy President (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 28 April 2017, 11:56 AM, PDT)
- Oscar Isaac Is a Father! Star Wars Actor Welcomes First Child With Elvira Lind (From E! Online. 28 April 2017, 11:36 AM, PDT)
Robert Downey Jr.
- ‘Fast and Furious’ Franchise Honored With 2017 MTV Movie & TV Awards Generation Honor (From Variety - Film News. 28 April 2017, 7:00 AM, PDT)
- MTV Movie & TV Awards Set To Honor ‘Fast & Furious’ Franchise (From Deadline TV. 28 April 2017, 7:00 AM, PDT)
- MTV Movie & TV Awards Set To Honor ‘Fast & Furious’ Franchise (From Deadline. 28 April 2017, 7:00 AM, PDT)
- Yet Another Theory About Rose and Jack on That Door in Titanic Is Here to F*ck You Up (From BuzzSugar. 28 April 2017, 8:15 AM, PDT)
- Dabka Review [Tribeca 2017] (From We Got This Covered. 27 April 2017, 5:15 PM, PDT)
- Watch George Clooney Time-Travel Through the Most Iconic Movie Scenes in New Nespresso Ad (From PEOPLE.com. 26 April 2017, 6:02 AM, PDT)