Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast” scored with audiences, racking up a massive $170 million domestically to become the biggest March debut ever and the seventh-best opening in history. The fairy tale remake added an additional $180 million to its haul from international territories, raking in big bucks in major markets like China and the United Kingdom.
Once again, Disney has successfully updated a “tale as old as time” for a new generation of moviegoers while retaining the sense of wonder and magic that made the 1991 animated version of “Beauty and the Beast” a cultural touchstone for an older audience. It continues the studio’s successful collection of live-action remakes of cartoon favorites like “The Jungle Book” and “Cinderella” and helps propel star Emma Watson to the top of the A-list. Here are five reasons “Beauty and the Beast” smashed records.
1.) Emma Watson Delivered
Movie fans grew up with Watson, watching the »
- Brent Lang
Similar News ItemsStar Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)
- Colin Trevorrow Responds to Negative ‘Book of Henry’ Reviews: ‘I Do Stand by the Movie’ (From Variety - Film News. 26 June 2017, 5:22 PM, PDT)
- ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’ Continues to Dominate Social Media (From Variety - Film News. 26 June 2017, 1:35 PM, PDT)
- Great Job, Internet!: A former Star Wars star has some ideas about what to do with the Han Solo movie (From The AV Club. 26 June 2017, 1:05 PM, PDT)
Robert Downey Jr.
- Newswire: Tom Holland confirms that Peter Parker is actually in Iron Man 2 (From The AV Club. 26 June 2017, 1:58 PM, PDT)
- Newswire: Ben Affleck does the math, signs on for The Accountant sequel (From The AV Club. 26 June 2017, 12:27 PM, PDT)
- Marvel to remain tight-lipped on Phase Four of the McU until Avengers: Infinity War concludes (From Flickeringmyth. 26 June 2017, 5:25 AM, PDT)
- Killings said to have been inspired by Leonardo DiCaprio film The Basketball Diaries spotlighted on CopyCat Killers (From Monsters and Critics. 24 June 2017, 2:09 PM, PDT)
- The Twilight Zone gets Christine Lavaf as screenwriter for feature film (From Flickeringmyth. 21 June 2017, 3:28 AM, PDT)
- The Twilight Zone movie lands new writer (From Den of Geek. 20 June 2017, 7:17 PM, PDT)